Pemberville - The Pemberville Police Department is advising senior citizens to be aware of a scam that has been occurring in and around the village.
Someone has been contacting elderly residents via e-mail or telephone, claiming to be with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and directing the residents to send money to a wired account or face arrest for an alleged criminal offense.
The scammers have continually harassed some elderly residents by e-mail, regular mail on FBI letterhead, or telephone until they comply.
Anyone who has been contacted in such a manner should call their local law enforcement office.
Pemberville police are asking the public for information on several recent crimes:
• The windows of a vehicle parked in the 200 block of Water Street were smashed in the early morning of Sept. 21.
• Public restrooms on Walnut Street were vandalized on Sept. 20. On Sept. 27, someone broke the water fountain off the wall of the restrooms.
• Someone stole two WetJet personal watercraft and a trailer from a driveway in the 500 block of Hickory Street in the late evening of Sept. 22 or early the next morning. The watercrafts are white with purple stripes and the trailer has a large black tool box on the front.
• A green Honda ATV was reported stolen Sept. 23 from a residence in the 500 block of Water Street.
Lake Twp. – A truck reported stolen Sept. 26 from the Travel Centers of America was recovered in Toledo with the trailer still missing. The trailer contained 165, 46-inch flat panel TVs valued at $100,000.
• Police charged Johnathan P. Seth, 26, on Sept. 26 with driving under the influence, criminal trespassing, obstructing official business, and failure to comply with an order of a police officer.
• A GPS unit was reported stolen Sept. 26 from a truck at the Petro Truckstop.
• A vehicle was reported damaged Sept. 24 at the 3000 block of Lakepointe Drive.
• Construction tools valued at $4,300 were reported stolen Sept. 25 from D&D Paving, Woodville Road.
• A patron of E & D’s Time Out Tavern, Woodville Road, on Sept. 27 reported a missing purse.
• Tools valued at $2,800 were reported stolen Sept. 23 from the 2600 block of Pemberville Road.
• Aluminum parts and frames were reported stolen Sept 25 from Buckeye Tank & Trailer. Value $6,000.