Members of the Fort Industry Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) recently heard a presentation about East Toledo history and historical monuments from Larry Michaels, author of “East Side Story-People & Places in the History of East Toledo.”
Michaels discussed the location where the Fort Industry Chapter had, in November 1941, dedicated a monument to the prehistoric Indian fort in East Toledo. The bronze inscription on the four-ton sandstone marker reads: “A Prehistoric Fort consisting of earthen walls accompanied by moats, formerly occupied this site.
The walls, three to four feet high, probably were surmounted by palisades, which together with the steep river bank, rendered the fort fairly secure from attack by enemies. The fortification probably pertained to the Erie Nation of Indians, who lived in Northern Ohio prior to 1655. The unobstructed view of the river in either direction enabled defenders of the fort to guard against surprise attack by enemy canoemen. Erected by Fort Industry Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.”
The position of the earthworks and moats in relation to the Maumee River is illustrated on the marker. Early historians wrote that the fort was erected on a bluff about 35 feet above the river. Today the view of the river is blocked by grain elevators.
Fort Industry member Mary Ann Lauer recently set out in search of the monument located just a few feet from Miami St., south of Fassett St.