Red Cross volunteers honored
The American Red Cross of Ottawa County recognized volunteers for outstanding service at a recent holiday gathering held at the home of Deena Camerato.
2013 Volunteers of the Year included:
• Dave Amerine, who joined the Ottawa County Advisory Board in 2011 and is a member of the Ottawa County Disaster Action Team. Amerine has played an integral part in the creation of a regional Speakers Bureau for the organization and has helped train nearly 40 volunteers throughout the 18 counties served by the Northwest Ohio Region.
• Connie Starnes, an Ottawa County Red Cross Disaster Action Team volunteer for 11 years who currently serves as a team leader. Starnes has volunteered her technical expertise on many projects over the past decade, including the integration of local shelter spaces into the Red Cross National Shelter System database.
• The 85-member “Club Red,” which is celebrating its eighth year, was recognized for supporting the mission of the Red Cross by offering education opportunities, public relations events, and fundraising. The award was accepted by this year’s chair, Lynn Majce.
Volunteer Hall of Fame inductees included:
• Judy Oleksa, RN, who has spent the past 33 years screening blood pressures for the Red Cross.
• Richard Gottschalk, a Red Cross volunteer for 15 years who serves as the Ottawa County Disaster Action Team Leader.
• Lea Mark, who has been a Red Cross volunteer Babysitter Training instructor for more than 10 years.
Volunteers earning Red Cross service pins included Audrey Morrow, 25 years; Linda Snyder and Richard Gottschalk, 15 years; Lea Mark, 10 years and Barbara Gravengaard, Mary Anne Koebel and Audre Massie, five years.
Bonnie Legg, who is retiring as the Ottawa County American Red Cross Disaster Action Team Leader after 11 years of service, was also recognized.