Written by Larry Limpf
December 30, 2008
Tax bill changes
Property tax bills will be arriving soon in mailboxes across Ottawa County. Due to recent levies now taking effect, property owners may notice changes in their bills from last year, county auditor Jo Ellen Regal said.
Other changes to the tax bill may include:
• A special assessment, such as a ditch, sewer, etc., is added or removed to the taxing district.
• A levy is removed or added.
• The millage rate has changed.
• A property changed use. For example, if the use has changed from commercial to residential, the tax might change.
• A Homestead Exemption was added or removed from the property.
• The 2.5 percent owner-occupied tax reduction was added or removed.
• New structures or buildings were removed or added to the property.
• On commercial or industrial properties, a tax abatement may have been added or expired.
• On agricultural properties, the Current Agricultural Use Value program may not have been renewed, therefore a recoupage charge was levied on the property.
• CAUV values may have changed.
The auditor’s office also has been working on the state-mandated triennial update with new values expected to be available in the spring, Regal said. The new values will impact the tax bill taxpayers receive in 2010.
The triennial values are determined based on a comparison of the auditor’s current value with verified sales that occurred in the three years since the last appraisal (2006, 2007 and 2008) and the indicated percentage change is then applied to all properties in a neighborhood, Regal said.
Terra Community College will hold an open registration event Jan. 8. Offices will be open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. to help students who want to register for spring 2009 classes.
Students are invited to tour campus, talk with financial aid representatives, complete the COMPASS placement assessment and meet with an advisor to discuss course selection.
Current and prospective students are asked to report to the Admissions Office in Roy Klay Hall (Building A) to get started.
Spring classes begin Jan. 12. Schedules are online at www.terra.edu or hard copies are available on campus. For more information, call 419-559-2349 or toll-free 866-AT-TERRA, ext. 2349.