The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper


Deadline for labor camp grants extended
Owners/operators of existing or new agricultural labor camps throughout Ohio have until Nov. 25 to submit applications for assistance to improve their farm-workers’ living quarters. The state extended the deadline for applications.

Those interested in assistance should call 419-334-5016 to have Cindy Brookes help review the application before it is submitted.

“Reviewing the application before it is submitted will reduce the possibility of any deficiencies it may have,” Brookes said.

Funds may be used for any of the following projects – construction, rehabilitation or demolition of migrant farm workers’ housing units; water supply (e.g. wells, connector to public system, distribution); all costs associated with construction/rehabilitation of common restroom facilities; gas and electric supply; site improvements (e.g. drainage); roads, bridges, and parking areas; and planning, architectural, engineering, surveying, permits, or testing costs related to an eligible activity.

The maximum grant amount is no more than $25,000 per camp annually, with a minimum grant amount of $5,000. In addition, the program requires a dollar-for-dollar match, which cannot be in-kind contributions. The applicant’s match may be in the form of cash or commitments from lending institutions/processors.

The funds are available through WSOS CAC; the program is made possible by a grant from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (DJFS) to the Ohio Association of Community Action Agencies (OACAA), which contracted with WSOS to administer the funds.

For more information, call Brookes or visit



Should undocumented immigrants, brought to the U.S. as children, also known as "Dreamers," be allowed to stay in the U.S.?
124279755 [{"id":"241","title":"Yes. They consider the U.S. their home","votes":"6","pct":37.5,"type":"x","order":"1","resources":[]},{"id":"242","title":"No. They should be deported, then apply for citizenship the legal way.","votes":"2","pct":12.5,"type":"x","order":"2","resources":[]},{"id":"243","title":"Yes. With conditions. They have a job or going to school, pay back taxes, and are contributing to society.","votes":"8","pct":50,"type":"x","order":"3","resources":[]}] ["#194e84","#3b6b9c","#1f242a","#37414a","#60bb22","#f2babb"] sbar 160 160 /component/communitypolls/vote/90-undocumented No answer selected. Please try again. Thank you for your vote. Answers Votes ...