Owens College basketball player Brittany Darling (Genoa) of Owens Community College has been named Ohio Community College Athletic Conference Player for the Week.
Darling, a 6-5, center, scored 46 points and grabbed 33 rebounds in three games last week. She had seven blocks, three assists and one steal. She shot 19 of 32 (59.4 percent) from the floor and 8 of 16 (50 percent) from the charity stripe.
Darling’s stats spiked last week as she nearly doubled her totals in points and rebounds. Brittany averaged 15 points and 11 rebounds, while swiping 2.3 blocks. She shot a sizzling 59 percent from the field to cap off the 2-1 week for the Lady Express.
Owens men’s and women’s basketball programs concluded the regular season home portion of their schedules with games against Sinclair Community College on Feb. 21.
The Express women’s basketball program has amassed a 15-11 overall record and currently is in fourth place in the OCCAC standings. Led by Coach Michael Llanas, their conference record is 5-5.
The 2008-09 edition of the men’s basketball program has an overall record of 14-14 and a 7-5 mark (fourth place) in the OCCAC. The Express is led by Coach Kevin Skaggs. This past week, Owens ended the regular season in Piqua against Edison State on Feb. 28.
Eastwood senior Amy Meyers has qualified for the girls Division II state swim meet in two events.
In the 100 yard butterfly, Meyers qualified with a time of 1:02.51 at the district, and she qualified for the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 1:00.49 — finishing first at district and she has the sixth fastest time in her division in Ohio. The state meet was this past weekend at Branin Natatorium in Canton.
The Oak Harbor women's team finished in fourth place at the district tournament as Allie Reynolds set two new school records in the 200 and 500 freestyle and headed to the state meet along with three Rocket relay teams.
• The Rocket 200 medley relay team of Sam Reynolds, Danielle Franck, Marlee Carpenter, and Jenna Diekman placed fifth (1:56.25) at district, earning an at large state birth.
• Allie Reynolds finished fourth (1:59.42) in the 200, also earning an at large state birth.
• Junior Olivia Porter placed third (55.23) in the 100 freestyle, qualifying for state, and she placed fifth (25.08) in the 50 freestyle and will compete in that event in Canton, also.
• The 200 free relay team of Allie Reynolds, Brielle Hanthorn, Jenna Diekman, and Olivia Porter placed third (1:41.38), qualifying for state. Their time is the 10th fastest in their division in the state meet,
• The 400 freestyle relay team of Brielle Hanthorn, Katie Bechtel, Allie Reynolds,and Olivia Porter finished third at district (3:43), qualifying for state with the 10th fastest time.
• Allie Reynolds placed fourth in the 500 at the district meet, while Katie Bechtel placed fifth and Brielle Hanthorn placed seventh.
• Katie Bechtel placed fifth in the 200 free.
• Bryan Winters placed seventh in the 500 free.
• The boys 200 and 400 free relay teams of Andrew Walsh, Bryan Winters, Ben Andryc, and Aaron Reichman swam extremely well at the district meet, too, coaches say.
The Rocky Ridge/Graytown Baseball Association will be holding 2009 registration for children ages 5-14 at St. John Lutheran Church (Rocky Ridge) on March 8 from 2-4 p.m. Forms can be picked up at Graytown or Rocky Ridge post offices, Priesman Pintery, or Oak Harbor Hardware. Deadline is Mar. 14. Call Josh Dusseau at 419-707-0707 or Rhonda Pavlica at 419-862-7702.