In any sport there are always rules and regulations to try and level the playing field for the participants. Auto racing is no different. With input from local race teams, Fremont Speedway will enforce the rules packages for the 305 sprints and dirt trucks in 2014.
“We are going to keep a much closer eye on both of these classes in 2014 and beyond. I strongly feel people have the wrong perception of these classes. I’m hoping that having these rules and the teching of them will help that going forward,” said Rich Farmer, Fremont Speedway Promoter.
The complete rules can be found at www.fremontohspeedway.com. But following are some of the highlights of the rules packages:
Fremont Federal Credit Union 305 Sprints:
- The use of after-market engine blocks is going to be allowed. This will include DART 305 blocks and the Bowtie 305 bore blocks. Farmer said this rule has been changed in an effort to provide the teams with an engine that is more reliable. “Also to have an alternative to finding stock blocks which have become tough to find,” he added.
- New for 2014 is a weight rule of 1,500 pounds with the driver. “This is something I felt was needed to help what I feel is a perception problem within the 305 group. This will help to maintain equality in the class,” said Farmer.
- Allowing titanium in the rear-ends instead of just the lower shaft. Farmer said this will make it easier for the 305 teams to buy used parts from the 410 sprint division.
- Any shock that has a Schrader Valve is not legal….if you can add air or gas to the shock it IS NOT legal. “We want to clear up the no gas shock rules for both the 305s and trucks,” said Farmer.
AAA Ohio Auto Club Dirt Trucks:
- Rear-ends must mount solid to the leaf springs. Farmer said that means if at any time during tech that if the drive shaft and the lift arm is removed the rear-end will not float freely on the springs.
- After market rear springs will be allowed but the spring must mount in the factory locations using the factory front mount as before. Also, the factory wheel base must remain.
Tech procedures for 305 sprints and dirt trucks:
- The race cars to be selected for tech will happen each week at pill draw. The lowest numbers drawn ending in 0 or 5 will be teched. Example: 5, 10, 15….those would be teched. If the 10 is not drawn then it would be 5, 15, 20 and so forth until there are three vehicles for tech. Tech will be done randomly during the night and will be done as convenient for the track’s staff.
Farmer added the 305 sprints and dirt trucks will also qualify each week.
“All of these changes have been recommended by the peers in each division. During the two meetings we had with drivers and owners things were brought to me and I evaluated them and made changes as I felt fit,” said Famer. “At the end of the day, we need to change the perception that there is a lot of rules violations that go un-checked and I feel that has kept some from getting back into the sport.”