The Press Newspaper
Attica Raceway Park fans and race teams helped put an explanation point on the 25th anniversary season of “Ohio’s Finest Racing” speedplant at a gala banquet that crowned the track’s four champions and celebrated the rest of the top 10 in points.
Gibsonburg’s Craig Mintz wrapped up his second straight Attica championship in the O’Reilly Auto Parts 410 sprints. The 2013 Kistler Racing Products FAST champion competed in 14 events in 2013, missing only the Aug. 30 All Star show. Craig scored his 9th career Attica win on July 5. He recorded an incredible 11 top 10 finishes and 8 top five runs. Besides his win, he recorded four runner-up finishes! His average feature finishing position was seventh.
Attica Promoter John Bores announced all the major sanctioning bodies that competed at the track in 2013 will be back in 2014. He added the track crew is looking at addressing lighting issues around the track’s back stretch and more clay has been brought in.
Here’s a look at the rest of the top 10 in points in the 410 sprints:
9. Stuart Brubaker, Fremont, Ohio – the 2008 Attica 305 sprint champion and last year’s 410 rookie of the year competed in 12 events in 2013. He recorded a pair of top 10 finishes including a season-best fourth on July 26th. His average feature finishing position was 15th.
8. Brian Lay, Genoa, Ohio – Brian competed in 14 features at Attica in 2013, missing only opening night. He racked up his first two ever Attica wins on July 19th and Aug. 17th. Brian recorded five top 10 finishes and besides his wins scored a pair of third place finishes. His average feature finishing position was 12th.
7. Duane Zablocki, Tiffin, Ohio – He competed in 12 events in 2013, recording a pair of top 10 finishes including a season-best 6th on July 5th. His average A-main finishing position was 13th.
6. Byron Reed, Monclova, Ohio – The 6 time Attica track champion competed in 12 events in 2013. He recorded 11 top 10 finishes and four top five runs. He picked up his 29th career 410 sprint win on June 14th and now has 29 for his career, good for second on the track’s all-time win list. Byron’s average feature finishing position was 7th.
5. D.J. Foos, Fremont, Ohio – The 2013 Attica rookie of the year and the 2010 305 sprint track champion competed in 13 features this season. DJ recorded 10 top 10 finishes and six top five runs. He scored a season-best runner-up finish on May 17th. DJ’s average finishing position was 9th.
4. Travis Philo, Waterville, Ohio – Travis competed in 12 events in 2013, recording five top 10 finishes. He scored his second career Attica win on July 26th. His average feature finishing position was 12th.
3. Chris Andrews, Sandusky, Ohio – The 2009 Attica 410 champion and 2006 305 track champion competed in 14 events at Attica in 2013, missing only opening night. Chris posted 8 top 10 finishes and four top five runs. He scored his fourth career Attica win on June 21st against the All Stars. He also had a runner-up finish and a pair of third place runs. Chris’ average feature finishing position was 10th.
2. Caleb Griffith, Sandusky, Ohio – The 2003 Attica 305 champion competed in all 15 A-mains in 2013. Caleb recorded an incredible 12 top 10 finishes and four top five runs. His best finish was back-to-back third place runs in June. He had a streak of 9 straight top 10 runs from April through July. Caleb’s average feature finishing position was 8th.