The Press Newspaper
Fremont Speedway wrapped up its 62nd year by honoring the teams who finished in the top 10 in points in all four divisions during a packed banquet Saturday, Nov. 16.
Fremont Speedway Promoter Rich Farmer also presented appreciation plaques to several push truck drivers and their director Jeremy Durnwald for all of their support and hard work during the season. In addition, several employees were honored for their years of service to Fremont Speedway including employee of the year John Cook.
Farmer also presented the Alex Burkett Business Award to Crown Battery, Engine Pro and Kenny Clark of Fremont Fence.
Farmer was pleased to announce he and the Sandusky County Fairboard had reached a new three year contract running through 2017.
Over 350 people witnessed the top 10 in points in all four divisions receive point fund money.
In the Fort Ball Pizza Palace 410 Sprints, Byron Reed earned his fourth track championship. The 2003, 2007 and 2008 champion competed in 15 features in 2013, missing only the non-wing event. Byron recorded 12 top 10 finishes and 7 top five finishes. Byron scored 3 wins in 2013 – on June 15th, Aug. 3rd and an All Star win on Sept. 13th. Byron now has 26 career Fremont wins and sits tied for 16th on the all-time win list. Byron’s average feature finishing position was 8th.
Following are the rest of the top 10 in the 410 sprints:
10. Bryan Sebetto, Fremont, Ohio – The 2011 track champion competed in 12 feature events in 2013. He scored his 23rd career Fremont victory against the All Stars on May 25th. Bryan had 8 top 10 runs and four top five finishes including a third against the World of Outlaws. His average A-main finishing position was 9th.
9. Dean Jacobs, Wooster, Ohio – Dean competed in 12 features in 2013. He recorded five top 10 finishes with a season best second against the All Stars on Sept. 13. He also had a third place run on Aug. 3. Dean’s average feature finishing position was 12th.
8. Stuart Brubaker, Fremont, Ohio – Last year’s rookie of the year and a three time 305 sprint track champion competed in 11 features in 2013. He scored a pair of top 10 runs including a season-best 6th on Sept. 7. Stuart’s average feature finishing position was 16th.
7. Duane Zablocki, Tiffin, Ohio – Duane competed in 12 features in 2013. He recorded a season-best fourth place finish on Aug. 3rd. His average A-main finishing position was 14th.
6. Brian Lay, Genoa, Ohio – He competed in 12 A-mains in 2013 and recorded 7 top 10 finishes including a season-best second on Sept. 7th. Brian’s average feature finishing position was 10th.
5. Caleb Griffith, Sandusky, Ohio – The 2003 305 sprint track champion competed in 14 A-mains in 2013. Caleb recorded 8 top 10 finishes and five top five finishes. He posted his first career 410 feature win on June 8th. He now has four career Fremont victories. He also scored a runner-up finish against the World of Outlaws. Caleb’s average feature finishing position was 11th.
4. Chris Andrews, Sandusky, Ohio – Chris competed in 15 features in 2013, missing only the World of Outlaws show at the end of the season. Chris scored his sixth career Fremont win on July 27th. He recorded 8 top 10 finishes and 6 top five runs. Besides his win he also scored a runner-up finish and a third. His average feature finishing position was 10th.
3. D.J. Foos, Fremont, Ohio – The 2013 rookie of the year and the 2012 305 sprint track champion competed in 15 A-mains this season, missing only the non-wing event. He recorded 8 top 10 finishes and 4 top five runs. His best finish was a second on May 18th. D. J’s average feature finishing position was 11th.
2. Craig Mintz, Gibsonburg, Ohio - The 2010 and 2012 Fremont champion and a two-time FAST champion tied with Byron Reed for the 2013 title but lost out on the tie-breaker – wins. Craig competed in 14 A-mains in 2013 and never finished out of the top 10. He recorded 7 top five finishes including three second place runs. His average feature finishing position was a remarkable 5th.