The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper


The Ohio Department of Aging has issued a call for nominations for its Elder Caregiver Award, which recognizes outstanding individuals of any age who sacrifice their time and independence to provide much-needed care to a loved one who is aging or who has a disability.

Individuals and organizations interested in nominating a neighbor, colleague, family member or friend may submit a nomination online or download a nomination form at The department will accept nominations through Oct. 15. Those chosen will receive the award in the spring.

“Ohioans who provide the care and attention their loved ones and neighbors need at home help them avoid nursing home placement and reduce their dependence on formal home health care,” said Barbara E. Riley, director of the department. “The care they give saves the state an estimated $10.4 billion each year, but it is invaluable to the care recipient in terms of the independence and choice it gives them.”

Caregiving has many faces in Ohio. A caregiver could be a husband helping his wife through a bad spell, a daughter helping her father deal with the ravages of dementia, a good Samaritan who dutifully helps a neighbor with errands and chores, aging parents caring for a son or daughter with a disability - there are many more examples.

To be eligible for the Elder Caregiver Award, either the caregiver or care recipient must be age 60 or older. One must also be a current resident of Ohio and caregiving for which they are nominated must not be job-related.

Nominations will be evaluated on the severity of the care recipient’s condition, the degree of difficulty of care provided, any unique or innovative approaches to caregiving used by the nominee, any special circumstances or barriers the caregiver faces, how the nominee utilizes the resources and assistance available to him or her and the impact of care provided on the caregiver, the recipient and their respective families.




Do you find the holidays to be fun or stressful?
892174765 [{"id":"224","title":"Fun. Hate to see it end.","votes":"5","pct":41.67,"type":"x","order":"1","resources":[]},{"id":"225","title":"Stressful. Can't wait for it to be over.","votes":"3","pct":25,"type":"x","order":"2","resources":[]},{"id":"226","title":"A little of both.","votes":"4","pct":33.33,"type":"x","order":"3","resources":[]}] ["#194e84","#3b6b9c","#1f242a","#37414a","#60bb22","#f2babb"] sbar 160 160 /component/communitypolls/vote/84-holidays No answer selected. Please try again. Thank you for your vote. Answers Votes ...