The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper


The State Department of Aging has issued a call for nominations for outstanding older individuals to be inducted into the Ohio Senior Citizens Hall of Fame.

The hall honors Ohioans age 60 and older for their extraordinary achievements and contributions. Individuals and organizations interested in nominating a neighbor, colleague, family member or friend may do so online at The department will accept nominations through Aug. 15. Honorees will be inducted to the Hall of Fame in the spring of 2010.

“Members of the Ohio Senior Citizens Hall of Fame have made a difference in the lives of those around them,” said Barbara E. Riley, director of the department. “They are ordinary people who do extraordinary things. They have shaped communities, influenced industry, helped the arts flourish and so much more. We know most Ohioans know of at least one person who deserves this honor, and we hope they will take the time to nominate him or her.”

Nominees must be age 60 or older and be native-born Ohioans or a resident of the state for at least 10 years. Posthumous nominations will be accepted. Self-nominations are not accepted.

Nominees will be evaluated on the impact of their current contributions, or a continuation of contributions begun before age 60, in areas of endeavor including, but not limited to:

Athletics, business/industry, civic service, education, health/medicine, literature/journalism, science/technology, visual/performing arts and volunteerism.

Those selected will represent older Ohioans who set an example by leading active and positive lives not defined by age or barriers, and who demonstrate significant contributions to their communities. To learn more, visit



Should undocumented immigrants, brought to the U.S. as children, also known as "Dreamers," be allowed to stay in the U.S.?
1125954139 [{"id":"241","title":"Yes. They consider the U.S. their home","votes":"2","pct":40,"type":"x","order":"1","resources":[]},{"id":"242","title":"No. They should be deported, then apply for citizenship the legal way.","votes":"0","pct":0,"type":"x","order":"2","resources":[]},{"id":"243","title":"Yes. With conditions. They have a job or going to school, pay back taxes, and are contributing to society.","votes":"3","pct":60,"type":"x","order":"3","resources":[]}] ["#194e84","#3b6b9c","#1f242a","#37414a","#60bb22","#f2babb"] sbar 160 160 /component/communitypolls/vote/90-undocumented No answer selected. Please try again. Thank you for your vote. Answers Votes ...