The Press Newspaper
Throughout September and October, the Toledo Zoo is celebrating Senior Discovery Days, which includes discounts, special events and programs and more.
On weekdays through September and October, seniors ages 60 and older may enjoy:
• Free parking in the Anthony Wayne Trail lot;
• Free small coffee and a mini-muffin at the Timberline Bakery;
• $5 off Toledo Zoo membership;
• A 20 percent discount on items purchased in the North Star Trading Post gift shop.
• Seniors also receive free admission on Tuesdays. Professional caregivers who are directly responsible for assisting seniors during Senior Discovery Days are also eligible for free admission. Pre-register with the Visitor Services Department by calling 419-389-6561. Regular admission rates apply for relatives and volunteer caregivers.
In addition, special activities – ranging from guided tours of the zoo’s historic buildings to musical entertainment and games – are planned for each Tuesday.
The schedule includes:
• Sept. 18: Senior Safari Days will include entertainment provided by the Toledo School for the Arts’ Afro-Caribbean Dance & Drum Ensemble; free health screenings, health information, safety and exercise tips for seniors from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Throughout the day, Century Equipment will supply golf carts for transport assistance at designated pick-up stations throughout the zoo.
Lunch will be provided in the Nairobi Pavilion. Lunch tickets (advance sales only) are $2.50 for seniors and $5.50 for non-seniors and are available for purchase at local senior centers, senior dining sites and at the Area Office on Aging, 2155 Arlington Ave., Toledo. Calling the Area Office on Aging at 419-382-0624.
Sept. 25: Tour the Reptile House and learn about the history of the building while getting a close up view of the zoo’s reptile collection. Meet in the Reptile House entrance at 11 a.m.
• Oct. 2: Take a guided tour through the Zoo’s butterfly, rose, vegetable, herb and formal perennial gardens. A zoo Master Gardener will explains how to prepare your garden for winter and next spring. Meet at the Conservatory at 11 a.m.
• Oct. 9: Enjoy the Big Band sounds of Jeff McDonald’s Swingmania Orchestra from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Nairobi Pavilion.
• Oct. 16: Win great “zoo-venirs” playing bingo with a zoo twist in the African Lodge from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
• Oct. 23: Tour the Aviary’s three walk-through habitats – the African Grasslands, Madagascar Desert and Australian Outback. Meet at Aviary entrance at 11 a.m.
• Oct. 30: Though the zoo Aquarium will close Oct. 1 for renovations, get a sneak preview of the new Aquarium and learn about the building’s rich WPA heritage. Meet in the Museum’s Indoor Theatre at 11 a.m.
To reserve a spot on one of the tours, call 419-385-5721, ext. 2110. Tours last between 30 and 60 minutes.
For more information and a full schedule of all the activities, visit www. toledozoo.org/seniors.