The Press Newspaper
Ottawa County Senior Resources offers a variety of services and resources to assist local seniors and their caregivers, including:
• Home-delivered meals, offered to any homebound senior in Ottawa County.
• Senior Resources partners with the Area Office on Aging of Northwest Ohio to provide the OPTIONS for Independence Program throughout Ottawa County. The program is available to anyone age 60 years of age or older who is living in a home setting and needs assistance in order to remain safely at home. Care coordinators provide information about service options in Ottawa County; help choose the services that are best for each unique situation, and link seniors and their caregivers to these services.
• Alzheimer’s daycare and respite care services.
• Healthcare, including 60+ Clinics, free routine health screenings offered monthly at seven sites across the county.
• Transportation through Ottawa County Transportation Agency (OCTA).
• The Ottawa County Senior Activity Committee established for the social and recreational needs of seniors.
• Project Lifesaver, in partnership with the sheriff’s department to provide wristband detection systems for those in need.
• Drug repository, in partnership with Erie County’s “Serving our Seniors” to offer surplus medications to individual who otherwise could not afford these medications.
• File of Life, a magnetized mini-health history that makes health issues easily accessible to first responders (co-sponsored by the Kiwanis of Ottawa County).
• 911 Cell Phones for Seniors, providing 911service only for seniors who need to have sense of security when not in the home.
• Senior director, in conjunction with Magruder Hospital, providing listing of services specific to the need of the senior community.
• Lawn care initiative, providing information on companies offering lawn care services for seniors, some at discount or reduced rate
• Medicare Part D assistance, which offers help in identifying Part D plans for “new” seniors as well as those needing to compare plans to best fit his or her needs.
Senior centers also offer hot nutritional meals and social, recreational and educational events to any senior who wish to participate. Locally, centers are located in Elmore (419-862-3874), Genoa (419-855-4491) and Oak Harbor (419-898-2800).
No results found.