High school graduates looking to pursue rewarding and lucrative careers will find many options at two local community colleges.
Owens Community College is a fully accredited two-year, state-assisted institution of higher education that has served Northwest Ohio since 1965. Owens serves the diverse academic needs of credit and non-credit students on the Toledo-area Campus on Oregon Road in Perrysburg Township, on the Findlay-area Campus, and at the Learning Center at The Source on Monroe Street in downtown Toledo and at Workforce and Community Services on Tracy Road in Northwood.
Owens offers associate degrees that transfer to baccalaureate degrees in the Arts and Sciences and over 130 technical program areas in agriculture, business, health sciences, public safety and emergency preparedness, skilled trades andengineering and transportation technologies.
Students also can earn the first two years of a bachelor’s degree with a smooth transfer to any area four-year college or university.
The credit hour cost for spring semester is $127.30 or $3,076 for an academic year.
Among the programs offered are:
• 80 credits required
• Course sampling - Preventive dentistry, periodontology, dental materials, oral anatomy, and physiology and community dental health.
• Jobs - Registered dental hygienists in private dental offices, hospitals, and dental clinics.
• Wages: $56,380
Early Childhood Education Technology
• 64 credits required
• Course sampling - Child development, creative play for young children, child and youth health, and positive guidance.
• Jobs - Teachers in child care centers, Head Start Centers, preschools, public preschool paraprofessional programs or other programs involved in the care and guidance of pre-kindergarten children and their families.
• Wages: Preschool teacher (except special education) - $21,850.
• 65 credits required
• Course sampling - Hydraulic theory and operation, vehicle electrical systems, fundamentals of engines, and transmissions and torque converters.
Jobs - Diesel service technicians are employed in operations, maintenance, service, testing, diagnosis, and development of truck and heavy equipment.
• Wages: Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialist - $41,550.
Criminal Justice Technology
• 68-71 credits required
• Course sampling - Patrol operations, criminal law and procedure, criminal investigation, and constitutional law and evidence.
•Jobs - Police and corrections personnel in state and local law enforcement agencies, juvenile and adult corrections, and probation and parole, as well as in private and public security agencies.
• Wages: Correctional officer/jailer - $36,570.
For more information about these or other programs, visit www.owens.edu or call 1-800-GO-OWENS.
Terra Community College, a two-year institution located at 2830 Napoleon Rd. in Fremont, offers more than 85 degree and certificate programs.
Tuition is $123.84 per credit hour, so a full-time student taking 15 credit hours would have a tuition bill of $1,857.60 per semester. Scholarships and other forms of financial aid are available.
Terra offers both technical and academic coursework, and students can start at Terra and transfer their credits to a four-year institution.
Top programs include:
• 72 credits required.
• Course sampling – Medical-surgical nursing, community-based nursing, anatomy and physiology, microbiology.
• Jobs – Registered nurses work in a variety of settings, including hospitals.
• Wages – Registered nurse – $55,540.
Law Enforcement/Police Science
• 68-70 credits required
• Course sampling – criminal code, investigation techniques, community relations, general psychology.
• Jobs – Communication officer, probation officer, dispatcher, police officer, guard.
• Wages: Probation officer/correctional treatment specialist, $41,590.
Office Administration (Executive Office or Medical)
• 27 credits required. (Certificate credits may be applied to an appropriate major leading to an associate degree.)
• Course sampling – Document Formatting, Office Procedures, Computerized Accounting, Advanced Spreadsheets
• Jobs – Executive assistant, office manager, medical office management, medical billing.
• Wages: Office and administrative support workers – $41,650.
Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (regular or Fast Track)
• 21-26 credits (certificate), may also be applied to an appropriate major leading to an associate degree.
• Course sampling – Refrigeration, Heating Systems, Math for the Trades, Troubleshooting
• Jobs – Systems installer, lab technician, energy management technician, service technician.
• Wages: Heating, air conditioning and refrigeration mechanics and installers - $41,650.
Early Childhood Education
• 68 credits required.
• Course sampling – Child Development, The Family, Educational Psychology, Emergent Language Literacy
• Jobs – Early childhood director or teacher, teacher assistant, children’s tutor, home day care provider.
• Wages: Administrator, preschool and child care program – $38,200.
Call 1.866.AT TERRA or visit www.terra.edu for more information or to speak with an admissions representative.