The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper

News Briefs

Sunday Open Swims

        Benton-Carroll-Salem Schools has announced new times for Sunday Fun Open Swims at the Oak Harbor High School Pool.

        Swims are open to B-C-S students, families and community members Sundays in January, February and March from 2-4 p.m. Racquetball courts will also be open to adults during these times.

        Pool admission is $2 for adults and $1 for B-C-S students. Racquetball courts will be open to adults only for an additional charge of $2 (limit four per court). A lifeguard and site director will be on site to ensure safety.  

        Sunday Fun will be cancelled if Ottawa County is on a Level Two or Level Three Emergency as announced by the Ottawa County Sheriff.

        Call the B-C-S Board of Education office at 419-898-6210 if you have any questions.

Avoid firewood fraud

        Wood County Auditor Matthew Oestreich is offering tips to avoid fraud when purchasing firewood this winter season.

        The Weights and Measures Division of the Auditor’s Office ensures that products meet claims for actual weights and volumes, which includes the enforcement of Ohio’s laws defining units of measurement for firewood sales. Oestreich offers these tips to consider before making purchases:

Holiday patrols

        The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office will schedule extra patrols throughout the Christmas and New Year’s holidays to promote safety among drivers, and to draw awareness to the other traffic on the roadways.

        Deputies assigned to overtime duties will work varying hours during the shifts and will be enforcing all traffic laws, with emphasis on OVI, speed, seat belts and distracted driving.

        The overtime is part of a grant from the Governor’s Highway Safety Office.



Should undocumented immigrants, brought to the U.S. as children, also known as "Dreamers," be allowed to stay in the U.S.?
837749511 [{"id":"241","title":"Yes. They consider the U.S. their home","votes":"7","pct":35,"type":"x","order":"1","resources":[]},{"id":"242","title":"No. They should be deported, then apply for citizenship the legal way.","votes":"4","pct":20,"type":"x","order":"2","resources":[]},{"id":"243","title":"Yes. With conditions. They have a job or going to school, pay back taxes, and are contributing to society.","votes":"9","pct":45,"type":"x","order":"3","resources":[]}] ["#194e84","#3b6b9c","#1f242a","#37414a","#60bb22","#f2babb"] sbar 160 160 /component/communitypolls/vote/90-undocumented No answer selected. Please try again. Thank you for your vote. Answers Votes ...