While crime is typically less likely to occur in parks than the community at large, it’s important not to let your guard down.
Toledo Metroparks rangers offer these simple steps to protect yourself when visiting the area’s parks or other locations:
• Place purses, bags and other personal belongings in the trunk of your car prior to arriving at a park, mall or other public place. Thefts have occurred when park visitors have been observed placing items in their trunks or hiding their keys.
• Do not place valuables where they can be seen through the windows.
• An even better idea is to leave valuables at home and bring only what you need.
• Lock your vehicle and make sure the windows are up.
• Always be aware of your surroundings.
• If walking or jogging in secluded areas, do not wear headphones that would prevent you from hearing what’s going on around you.
• Watch for suspicious persons or vehicles. Report anything suspicious in the Metroparks to a ranger.
• Park in high-traffic areas if possible.
• Do not lock pets in your vehicle.
• Do not leave mail or other identifying documents in your vehicle.