The Press Newspaper
A fun day outdoors often includes family, friends, and clear skies. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources offers these safety tips to help ensure a safe and memorable outdoor adventure:
• Let someone know where you are going, when you leave and when you plan to return.
• Bring an adequate supply of water and a cell phone for emergencies.
• Be courteous to your fellow outdoors enthusiasts.
• Follow posted rules and regulations.
• Build campfires within the fire ring – never leave a fire unattended.
• Use caution around campfires and keep an extra close eye on children.
• Have a well-supplied first aid kit.
• Set boundaries for young people and remind them to use the buddy system.
• Keep a sharp eye on young children in and around the water.
• Avoid swimming alone – use the buddy system.
• Enjoy the fun that water offers, but take regular breaks.
• Alcohol and swimming do not mix.
• Follow the nautical “rules of the road.”
• Never mix alcohol and boating.
• Stay within the limit of the boat’s maximum carrying capacity.
• Keep an eye on the sky for bad weather; be alert to open water conditions and avoid fast-moving water.
• Get an early start to avoid the heat of the day – don’t overexert yourself.
• Carry ample amounts of water and some snacks.
• Bring along a small first aid kit, sun block and insect repellent.
• Each hiker should carry a trail map marked with a designated meet up spot in case anyone gets separated from the group.
• Stick to the trail.
• Keep an eye out for holes, dips, rocks or other trail obstructions.
• Pass others with care; and ride at a controlled speed.
• Ride with a friend.
• Use caution when casting and baiting and removing hooks.
• Handle fish carefully.
• Apply sunscreen and bug spray; wear a hat to ward off the sun and hooks during a stray cast.
• Wear a lifejacket if fishing from a boat.
• Drive an ATV that is age and size appropriate.
• Supervise riders younger than 16 years of age.
• Stay on designated trails and drive at a safe speed.
• Take a safety course (ATVSafety.org).
No results found.