The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper

Oregon City Council last month voted 4-3 to purchase a 15 acre parcel off Pickle Road for a passive park.
 
The city bought the property, at 3521 Pickle Road, from George and Carrie Tschann for $195,000.
 
Councilmen Terry Reeves, Mike Sheehy, Clint Wasserman, and James Seaman voted in favor of the purchase. Councilmen Jerry Peach, Bill Myers, and Mike Seferian were opposed.

Read more...

The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency will not be adding monitoring wells around Envirosafe Services of Ohio, Inc. (ESOI), a hazardous waste landfill on Otter Creek Road.
 
ARCADIS, Oregon’s consulting engineer, found low levels of contamination in four wells in the city’s right-of-way near the Envirosafe site. Oregon hired ARCADIS last year to install the wells to determine if harmful substances in Envirosafe’s historic landfills migrate off-site into the right-of-way along York Street, Old Millard Avenue and Otter Creek Road.  Low levels of contaminated ground water were found in each of the wells.

Read more...

Ottawa County will be introducing a discount card program in June to help consumers with the cost of prescription drugs, the county’s board of commissioners has announced.
 
Under a program sponsored by the National Association of Counties, the commissioners signed an agreement to make free prescription drug discount cards available to county residents.
 
The program offers an average savings of 22 percent off the retail price of commonly prescribed drugs, according to the association.

Read more...

Bill Clarke never served in the military, but he has boxes full of World War II memorabilia.

Clarke’s brother, Richard, was 23 — 10 years older than Bill — in 1944. The Clarke family had moved from Toledo to New Mexico by then, and Richard had joined the National Guard after graduating from high school. He left the National Guard for the Army Air Corps.

Richard was being trained to be a bombardier when he was sent overseas to fight the Japanese, but he never made it home.

Read more...

The International Boxing Club is getting a bad name, through no fault of its own.

The IBC, formerly located at the Andrews River East Building in East Toledo, has ran into a new problem since its move downtown.

East Toledo native and Waite graduate Harry Cummins, executive director of the IBC, now located at 1717 Adams St., wants area residents to know that the IBC does not go door-to-door for its fundraising efforts. Nor do IBC members stand outside area businesses asking people for donations.

Read more...