The Press Newspaper
Northwood is advertising for a new city administrator to replace current administrator Pat Bacon, who is retiring in October.
Mayor Mark Stoner said the city has placed an ad in the Ohio Municipal League publication for the administrator position. “We already received six resumes,” he said.
Candidates have until Aug. 14 to submit resumes to the city, he added.
After the deadline, city council will narrow the field to seven candidates to be interviewed, said Stoner.
“What’s happened in the past is that council chooses the final three, then leaves it up to me to make the final choice,” he said.
Bacon is retiring after 30 years of public service.
She has held the administrator’s position for nearly 10 years. She was administrative coordinator for the previous administrator, Chuck Curtis, before she was picked for the position.
Council had passed a motion at a special meeting last month to authorize advertising for the position.
Jim Mlynek is 57 years old and still gets to work before the sun comes up.
Mlynek and his wife, Jean, own Woodville Road Nursery and the Stone Yard, located at 5819 Woodville Rd, two miles past the Woodville Mall. The business is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.
“I've been doing this full-time for 33 years,” said Mlynek, whose father, Tom J. Mlynek, opened the nursery in 1960. “We've stayed small. First of all, we're workers. We are experienced people working on people's homes, and we don't send out a crew that's only been here a year or two. We're hands-on people.
“I get to work between 5:30 and 5:45 every morning. A lot of times I may go to jobs, and there is always getting trucks loaded and getting the equipment out, doing paper work. There's always something to do.”
Woodville Road Nursery has remained a family business for five decades. Jim and Jean are co-owners and their son, Jim, 26, has been working at the nursery for more than 20 years.
When they played taps, Cheryl Luce recalls, there wasn’t a dry eye in the gathering.
The ashes of her father, James Smith, who died in February at the age of 81, were laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery.
“Words can’t describe it,” Luce, of Oregon, said of the July 23 ceremony that honored her father, a Purple Heart recipient who fought in the Korean War. “The color guard, there was a 21-gun salute; they presented a folded flag to us. It was all so impressive.”
Smith, a native of West Virginia who later moved to Oregon, was one of several area veterans featured in The Press in 2001 during the 50th anniversary of the war when the U.S. Department of Defense undertook what it called the Commemorative Community Program to honor Korean War veterans and their families.
In September, 1950, 22-year-old Cpl. James Smith had a peaceful landing at Inchon where his unit was assigned to provide right flank protection for Marines spearheading an amphibious attack.
Later action, however, would be a nightmare that he’d remember for years.
As an Army veteran of World War II and a prisoner of war himself, Glenn Maddy has witnessed the pomp, parades, and other forms of recognition for U.S. veterans who fought in wars all over the globe.
But through all the years of memorials and services, he’s noticed one group that hasn’t received the recognition it deserves – surviving family members of those who made the supreme sacrifice and didn’t return.
As the guest speaker at a ceremony set for July 31 at Williams Park in the Village of Gibsonburg, Maddy, a retired Sandusky County agriculture agent, will focus his remarks on those families.
“There has always been a lot of recognition of folks who came back like me,” he said last week. “But for the families of servicemen who were killed in combat, they’ve never been adequately recognized in my opinion.”
The day Maddy was captured in January, 1945 nine other soldiers in his unit were killed and he often thinks of the effect their deaths had on their families.
One of the worst days of the war for his parents was January 23, 1945 – the day they received the telegram informing them their teenage son was listed as missing in action.
Demolition of the tornado-damaged Lake Township administration building on Cummings Road is expected to start this week.
In a special meeting last Wednesday, the township trustees approved a resolution to advertise for letters of interest from architectural and design firms for plans for a new building.
The resolution says the township’s insurance carrier has determined the building is a total loss and will have it demolished to the slab.
Construction on a new building would probably start by next spring, the trustees said.
Melanie Bowen, who chairs the board of trustees, said the insurance company has tentatively agreed to $1.7 million for replacing the building, which was constructed in 1993.
“That may be subject to change,” she said.
In addition to advertising in newspapers, the trustees agreed to send a notice to the Toledo chapter of American Institute of Architecture.
The trustees are confident a new building can be constructed at the same location even if there are some modifications.
No results found.