The Press Newspaper
Oregon council will consider awarding a contract on Monday to a firm to conduct smoke testing in the sanitary sewer system to find the causes of flooding that have occurred in parts of the city following heavy rainfall in the last few years.
“Over the past few years, we’ve had issues with wet weather, and storm water getting into the sanitary sewer system,” said Public Service Director Paul Roman. “One of the tools to find out where the storm water sources come from is smoke testing. It is just a matter of blowing a lot of smoke into the sanitary, and walking into a neighborhood, looking to see where exactly the smoke comes out.”
The city has been vigorously addressing flooding problems after heavy rain, including the installation of temporary flow meters at five locations in the sanitary sewer system to reduce or eliminate excessive storm water from getting into the wastewater collection system. Flow monitoring, video detection and smoke testing help identify Inflow and Infiltration (I&I).
Data collected from the meters showed that a lot of I&I throughout the older sections of the city in the Wheeling Street district is a significant source of direct storm inflow into the sanitary sewer.
Genoa Village Council voted unanimously Monday to hire a new solicitor.
Northwood attorney Brian Ballenger was given a two-year contract at $130 an hour, with hours determined on an as-needed basis, said fiscal officer Charles Brinkman.
Ballenger, who has been an attorney for 25 years, operates a private practice and does work currently with the Village of Walbridge and City of Northwood.
He replaces Cindy Smith who resigned in March after more than two decades of service with the Genoa administration.
Council put him to work immediately, asking him to review several pending ordinances as well as the hiring procedure of a part-time clerk.
The clerk issue surfaced earlier this year when councilman Eric Hise questioned the legality of the hiring which had not been approved by council.
The Ottawa County sheriff and prosecutor both reviewed the possible misuse of funds complaint. They had been consulted because the village did not have a solicitor on the payroll.
Neither believed a crime had been committed regarding the hiring, officials said.
Walbridge village officials have scheduled June 19 as Family Fun Day at the municipal pool, opening the facility to the public for free from noon to 5 p.m.
“We want to build support for the pool,” said Mayor Dan Wilczynski. “We want to let people know it’s there, it’s in good shape, and it’s a nice place to spend time with their family.”
The Walbridge Fest committee will be serving food and Maureen Jacobsen, who chair’s village council’s parks and recreation committee, is making plans for entertainment for children.
The pool, which is located on Parkview Drive, opened June 5 and will be open seven days a week through Labor Day. Hours are noon to 8 p.m.
Facing a lean operating budget, the village administration had considered leaving the pool closed this summer with the understanding it and other budget cuts could be re-instated if tax revenues increased.
In the 1960s, if you were a “motor head,” the place to be was Metcalf Field, says 63-year-old retired Lake Township business owner Mike Evanoff.
From the late 1950s to late ‘60s, sanctioned drag races took place at Metcalf, drawings dozens of racers. Featured at Metcalf, today renamed Toledo Executive Airport, were hot rods, muscle cars, roadsters, and stock cars.
Even during racing, the airport took priority. Evanoff recalls clearing of a runway as racing took a temporary halt while a plane approached to land. Once the plane was safely grounded, racing resumed.
In the late 1950s, Metcalf’s drag strip was named “Vettesville.” Later, it became the Greater Toledo Dragway with offices at 513 Main Street in East Toledo.
A newsletter, the G.T. Exhaust Pipe, was published for each event. Here is a briefing from the October 21, 1966 issue about racers who experienced engine trouble on a cold day —
“All things were just fine until the breakdowns came. First, Grimes lost to head gaskets and gave the crankshaft a free shower. Then the ‘Wild Thing’ lost its clutch as Jerry was just feeling out the eight in a row and how they go. Then Wagner’s big 427 Porky Pine lost its quills in the gear box and for the final ‘miss-hap’ of the day Roger Miller Ford began to sweat about the cylinders, sooo to make a long story short ‘NUTS,’”
The Northwood school board will hold a meeting on June 17 at 6 p.m. in city council chambers to discuss the district’s five year forecast.
The district, which has an $11 million budget, is faced with budget cuts, layoffs, and a possible operating levy this year to ward off a deficit, according to Superintendent Greg Clark.
“Our five year forecast shows that we are going to have to make some changes in the way we do business here, most probably,” said Clark. “There may be some combination of cuts and asking for additional money or a whole lot of cuts and asking for a lot of money. Which direction our board goes with those options is still to be determined.”
Clark said the board wants public input on the options they will be considering to improve its financial outlook.
“We want to invite the community in to hear a presentation regarding what the five year forecast is looking like, and talk about a few of the items we may be looking at, which could include the closure of a school, and listen intently to what the people have to say about what they would like to see. We would like to have good participation.”
The district is expected to have a $300,000 budget deficit at the end of this school year, said Clark.