The Press Newspaper
To do his job Scott Frank assumes a variety of identities – from 12-year-old boys to 16-year-old girls and others in between.
Frank, a captain with the Wood County Sheriff’s Department and member of the Ohio Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, has logged more than 4,200 hours online, often posing as a child to track the actions of sexual predators.
In a two-hour program at Lake High School Wednesday, Frank gave about 30 adults a view of the Internet they rarely see but their children might experience on a daily basis.
He described a “surface web” that comprises about 4 percent of what the Internet offers. But he urged parents to become familiar with the “deep web” that comprises the other 96 percent – the part of the Internet often hidden from view and isn’t indexed by search engines.
The Village of Gibsonburg will hold a ceremony June 12 to observe the arrival of an antenna that was atop the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York prior to the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001.
The 36-foot, 7.000-pound antenna will be placed at a planned memorial at Williams Park to commemorate public safety service.
The memorial will be dedicated on Sept. 11 of next year and is being designed to recognize the “dedication, service and sacrifices of police, fire and EMS and other public safety service personnel from everywhere who give and have given of themselves to make their communities better places for everyone,” said Marc Glotzbecker, village administrator.
The antenna is being transported to the village from JFK Airport in New York by Dan Slack and Steelhorse Transportation.
The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation today announced that Lucas County is one of 20 jurisdictions selected to receive a $150,000 grant to create a fairer, more effective local justice system.
The grant is a part of the Safety and Justice Challenge, the Foundation’s $75 million initiative to reduce over-incarceration by changing the way jails are used in the criminal justice system. Lucas County will use the grant to address factors contributing to over-incarceration and develop effective alternatives throughout the criminal justice process.
Lucas County was chosen following a highly competitive selection process that drew applications from nearly 200 jurisdictions from 45 states. The Safety and Justice Challenge competition supports jurisdictions across the country seeking to create more just and effective local justice systems that improve public safety, save taxpayer money, and yield better outcomes. The 20 jurisdictions selected will work with expert consultants to develop a plan for local justice system improvement. In 2016, as many as 10 of these jurisdictions will receive a second round of funding – between $500,000 to $2 million annually – to implement their plans over two years.
Habitat for Humanity of Wood County is looking for applicants for its upcoming home in Walbridge.
The home will be built at 121 Clinton St. on a 0.178-acre lot which the Village of Walbridge gifted land to Habitat for Humanity of Wood County. The property was donated to the village by the family of Billie Gilliam on Dec. 31. The Walbridge Council approved the donation by a unanimous vote this month.
Habitat for Humanity plans to build a new home on the land in the fall, in partnership with Penta Career Center. Construction will begin in September and continue on throughout the school year, with anticipated completion in the spring 2016.
Applicants who are seeking a homeownership opportunity with Habitat for Humanity are currently being sought. Eligible partner families purchase the home with a zero-percent or low-interest subsidized mortgage. Payments range between $400-$500 per month. Completion of a Homeowner Education program, along with sweat-equity (volunteer hours) are a requirement of the program.
For more information or to request a pre-application, call Habitat for Humanity of Wood County at 419-353-5430.
The Navarre Park Tennis Association, a community tennis association registered with the United States Tennis Association, is desperately seeking help to fund the resurfacing and repair of the Navarre Park Tennis Courts, says President Bobby Johnson.
The NPTA is beginning fundraising to raise $30,000 to cover costs of tennis court resurfacing, fence repair, court benches, and to also purchase tennis racquets and balls for its youth program and other programs promoting tennis. The NPTA is looking for sponsors and private donors to help provide a safe environment at the courts.
“The Navarre Park Tennis Association’s main focus is to provide an after school and summer activity that is safe and constructive to East Toledo’s youth. Navarre Park is also the home of Waite High School’s tennis teams, and currently has the only tennis courts on the east side of Toledo,” Johnson said.
No results found.