According to the American Academy of Audiology, hearing loss affects an estimated 36 million Americans of all ages with levels varying from mild to total loss.
The Audiology Department at Mercy St. Charles Hospital, located at the Center for Health Promotion, offers a number of services including, hearing tests for infants, children and adults, hearing instruments, assistive listening devices, custom noise protection plugs, custom ear plugs, and cerumen (wax) removal.
“No matter the age or circumstance, we are dedicated to taking the necessary steps to improve hearing,” said Dr. Erica Carpenter, Au.D., Audiologist at the Mercy St. Charles Center for Health Promotion.
Symptoms of hearing loss can include any of the following:
• Ringing or buzzing in the ear.
• Difficulty hearing the radio or television.
• Difficulty hearing in the presence of background noise.
• Complaining of others mumbling.
• Asking others to repeat themselves.
• Responding inappropriately to questions in conversation.
• Withdrawing from social interaction for fear of not being able to participate in group conversation
If you or a loved is experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms, call the Audiology Department at Mercy St. Charles Center for Health Promotion at 419-696-7486.