Toledo-area residents are encouraged to walk for 30 minutes in celebration of the new American Heart Association designated walking paths.
The American Heart Association is joining with Dave’s Running to sponsor all walking paths in Lucas and Wood counties. There are several paths in existence and more will be created throughout 2013.
“My Heart. My Life” is the American Heart Association’s national initiative that champions walking because statistics show it has the lowest dropout rate of any physical activity. The Toledo walking paths are part of a system of more than 200 such paths currently designated across the country.
For a list of paths nationwide or to map a custom walking route in your neighborhood, visit startwalkingnow.org.
In January 2010, the American Heart Association defined the seven key factors to ideal cardiovascular health. Physical activity is one of those factors; however, only 15 percent of American adults achieve the association’s recommended levels of moderate aerobic exercise (150 or more minutes per week).
The “My Heart. My Life” initiative encourages all Americans to get started on a regular walking program as a way to achieve their physical activity goals and to reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease by as much as 30 percent. “Dave’s Running is honored to be a part of such an invigorating initiative like ‘My Heart. My Life,’” said James Mason, owner. “It’s exciting to see our community work together to make positive strides to improve the health of our residents.”
“Healthy lifestyle choices should be a community priority. Nearly 67 percent of Americans are overweight and are at risk for heart complications from sedentary lives,” said Lori Mika, Heart Walk Director for the American Heart Association, Northwest Ohio Division. “Walking just 30 minutes a day can make a big difference in cardiovascular health.”
On the right path
The “My Heart. My Life” program offers several free options to help walkers get started on the right path including:
• Three customized walking programs (beginner, intermediate and advanced);
• Online tracking tools to document calories consumed, steps taken and routes walked;
• Sole-mates social networking capabilities to find and support like-minded walkers;
• A grocery list builder and heart-healthy recipes;
• Downloadable seasonal walking guides with tips to maintain a routine regardless of the weather;
• Walking videos, produced in collaboration with ExerciseTV, making an at-home workout easier with tips and motivation;
• Social media daily walking guide with daily walking guides, inspirational messages, heart-healthy tip of the day, video content from Exercise TV, community chat capability and a private journal;
“My Heart. My Life” is sponsored nationally by SUBWAY Restaurants and Jenny Craig. For more information, call 1-800-AHA-USA1 or visit startwalkingnow.org.