The Press Newspaper
Coffee klatch for Walbridge businesses
Coffee With The Village is scheduled for March 22 at 8 a.m. in the council chambers on Main Street.
“We want to know what we’re doing right and what we’re doing wrong from the perspective of our local businesses,” said Nathan Eikost, who chairs village council’s business and economic development committee.
Invitations have been sent to nearly 90 businesses in the village and surrounding area, Pamela Klotz, council clerk, said, adding several owners have already responded they will attend.
“We want to know what they like and don’t like,” she said. “We’re willing to help them in any way we can.”
She said the village has been looking for ways to improve the business climate for local owners, and is already offering free advertising space on the back page of the village’s quarterly newsletter.
About 500 copies of the newsletter are printed. It is also distributed by email and is posted on the village website.
Interested business owners who plan to attend can contact Klotz at the village administration building at (419) 666-1830 or by email on the village website.
A 20-hour class will teach residents how to respond in the initial phases of disaster’s aftermath. Topics covered by the class include family preparedness, fire and utility safety, first aid and triage, simple search and rescue, disaster psychology, and terrorism awareness. Participants will also learn how CERT teams respond and fit into the local response plan.
Classes are open to all residents 16 years of age and older. Erie, Huron, Ottawa, Sandusky, and Seneca counties have joined in offering the program, which is part of the Citizen Corps Program sponsored by each county Emergency Management Agency.
All five counties have CERT teams that respond locally when disaster strikes.
The following basic CERT classes are being offered:
• March 24, 31 and April 7 from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. at Woodville Fire Station, 321 E. Main St. Woodville
• April 4 - May 16 on Wednesday evenings from 7–10 p.m. at Bellevue Recreation Center, 110 Cherry St., Bellevue
• April 14 and 15 from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at the Fostoria Fire Station, 233 W. South Street, Fostoria
• April 27 (6 – 9 p.m.) 28 and 29 (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) at Terra State Community College, 2830 Napoleon Road, Fremont
• An additional class will be held in Marblehead-Lakeside in April and May; dates to be announced.