The Press Newspaper
An Elmore man faces five counts of felony charges after being arrested last week for offenses stemming from involving a minor in sexually oriented material.
Shaun Harder, 24, 19089 W. State Route 51, was arrested by Ottawa County sheriff’s deputies Tuesday afternoon after being indicted by a county grand jury.
Law enforcement officials said the indictment comes after a nine-month investigation into allegations Harder engaged in “inappropriate overtures” to a minor by sending pornographic and explicit material to the alleged victim by computer and text messages.
Harder, who was fired in March from the Elmore Police Department, faces charges of:
• Two counts of illegal use of a minor in nudity oriented material or performance. A second degree felony.
• Two counts of disseminating matter harmful to a juvenile. A fifth degree felony.
• Tampering with evidence. A fifth degree felony.
• Three counts of contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a child. A first degree misdemeanor.
• Obstructing official business. A second degree misdemeanor.
That charge, which is a misdemeanor, stems from allegations he wrote on a Facebook page in February that a New Jersey group, the Arabian Rescue Mission, should be “slaughtered like livestock.”
The mission and the Humane Society of Ottawa County, for which Harder volunteered, were in a dispute over the rescue of dozens of horses from a Carroll Township farm.
Elmore Police Chief George Hayes said Harder, a part-time officer, was fired from the department in March.
No results found.