Written by Kelly Kaczala
February 19, 2010
Oregon city council on Monday will vote to accept the final tap-in charges for the installation of a sanitary sewer that will serve several parcels in the area of Lallendorf Road and Cedar Point Development Park.
“Along the way, it serves 11 properties,” said Finance Director Kathy Hufford at a Committee of the Whole meeting last Monday. “There is no requirement for property owners to tap in. But when they need to tap in due to septic failure, or they just want to tap in, the fee they have to pay is listed in the ordinance.”
Those fees range from a low of $5,957.39 to a high of $61,368.28.
Councilman Jerry Peach said the project “is of great benefit to property owners.”
“There’s not an obligation to tap in, and the system is there when needed,” said Peach.
Mayor Mike Seferian said the “cash to tap” process is more economical compared to residents petitioning for sanitary sewers.
“This cash to tap eliminates a couple procedures. It would likely be a little more costly if it had been a petitioned project. So it’s probably one of the more economical ways to achieve sanitary sewer and does have the other benefit of paying as you choose to use it,” said Seferian.
Councilman Sandy Bihn asked if anyone to date has tapped into the sewer, a $278,426.81 project.
“There is a property in Cedar Point Development that has tapped in,” said Hufford.
“Did they pay, or did we pay?” asked Bihn.
“The city acted as the developer for the Cedar Point Park, and is paying for the cost of the sewer there,” said Hufford. “As we sell those lots, we’ll recoup those funds from whoever buys those properties, just like in a residential development.”
Also at the meeting, council agreed to put on next week’s agenda the following:
• an agreement with the Ohio Department of Transportation for funding from the Federal Highway Administration for the construction of the Pearson Park connector bikeway project. Various bikeway phases will ultimately connect Maumee Bay State Park with Pearson Metropark. Acting Administrator Paul Roman said the agreement spells out the responsibilities to carry out the project. “This project is funded by a Transportation Enhancement Grant, which pays for 80 percent of the construction and construction inspection,” said Roman. The remaining 20 percent cost of the project will be paid by the city and the Metroparks of the Toledo Area. The project is expected to go out to bid in April, said Roman.
• an agreement with DGL Consulting Engineers, LLC, to provide professional engineering services during the construction of the Wheeling Street widening project for $20,000;
• A contract and escrow agreement with the Ohio Department of Transportation for the Wheeling Street widening project. The city’s 25 percent local share for construction and construction inspection is $2.1 million. “That amount needs to be in escrow in order for ODOT to bid the project,” said Roman.
$15 Hourly wage
The "Fight for $15" campaign proposes a $15/hour wage for fast food workers. Do you agree?
No answer selected. Please try again.
Thank you for your vote.