Written by Kelly Kaczala
January 21, 2010
Mike Beazley, Oregon’s new city administrator, has extensive experience in public office and has had high profile positions in northwest Ohio in the last several years.
Since 2005, he has been county administrator for the Board of Lucas County Commissioners.
Previously, he has held the following positions:
• City clerk/clerk of council for the City of Toledo from 1998 – 2005;
• Board member of the Lucas County Board of Elections from 1989 - 1998; and chairman of the board of elections from 1991 – 1998;
• Member of the Bishop’s Education Council with the Catholic Diocese of Toledo from 1995 – 2004; and president of the Bishop’s Education Council from 2001 – 2004;
• Director of the Lucas County Board of Elections, 1983 – 1989;
• Member of the State of Ohio Board of Voting Machine Examiners, 1983 – 1991;
• Trustee of the Ohio Association of Elections Officials;
• Chairman of the Legislative Committee of the Ohio Association of Elections Officials, 1985 – 1987;
• Instructor at the University of Toledo Department of Political Science and Public Administration. Courses included Municipal Government Law, Political Parties, Political Leadership and State and Local Government; and advisor at the University of Toledo Urban Affairs Center;
• Assistant director of law with the City of Toledo, 1981 – 1983;
• Elections returns analysis and projection with WTOL –TV, 1977 – 1982;
Beazley received a Juris Doctor (J.D.), from the University of Toledo College of Law in 1980; and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science at the University of Toledo in 1977.
His community involvement includes being on the Center Of Science and Industry’s (COSI) board of directors for the Imagination Station, and was president of Sunshine Communities, and on the vocational services board of directors for Sunshine Inc. Sunshine is northwest Ohio’s largest non-profit provider of residential and day services for the developmentally disabled.
Beazley, who lives on Middlesex Drive in Toledo, was born on July 13, 1954. He is married to Juliann, and has four adult children and seven grandchildren.