The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper

Share

Elmore village officials spent the last few days of 2009 and the first three of 2010 preparing for a planned power outage set for Jan. 4, when Toledo Edison crews will be replacing a damaged pole near the corner of state routes 51 and 105.

The village board of public affairs projects the repairs will result in power being out from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. All consumers who purchase power through the village distribution system will be affected by the outage, including those located outside the village limits.

The Harris-Elmore Fire Department, which is equipped with a back-up generator, will be open for residents as a shelter and the Elmore Community Center, at the corner of Toledo and Clinton streets, will also be heated with a generator.

According to The Weather Channel, a high of 27 degrees (Fahrenheit) is predicted for the Elmore area that day. The projected low is 21 degrees. There is a 30 percent chance of snow showers.

 

Rick Claar, a village councilman, said he has been in contact with the Ottawa County Transportation Authority to have a van equipped to transport persons in wheelchairs available to residents during the outage.

Claar also said the village may post temporary four-way stop signs at intersections where stop lights are located.

At Bench’s Greenhouse, W. State Route 105, the retail store had previously been scheduled to be closed Monday, said Jill Bench. She said the greenhouse area will be heated with generators.

“The village contacted us about the outage,” she said. “We’ll be prepared.”

Tank’s Meats, State Route 51, will be open Monday its normal hours, an employee told The Press.

Tips offered by the Red Cross for making it through power outages include:

• Use flashlights instead of candles and have extra batteries.

• When using a portable generator, connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator. Don’t connect a portable generator to a home’s electrical system.

• Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal¬burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. Locate unit away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

• An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about four hours.

• Keep cells phone batteries charged.

• Remember your electric garage door opener won’t be working so park your car outside the garage or disengage the opener motor so you can open the door manually.