Oregon mayoral candidates Mike Seferian, Marge Brown, and Marvin Dabish participated in a taped roundtable discussion on the issues Thursday morning on WTVG Channel 13 with anchorman Jeff Smith as moderator. The program will be broadcast at noon Sunday, 14 days before the Sept. 15 mayoral primary.
The station submitted several questions beforehand, according to Dabish and Brown.
Those questions include:
• What is your read on Oregon right now, and what is the action plan for the next year?
• Now, what is the idea for a coking plant, or some other type of major industry that can bring jobs?
• Should Oregon be a bigger player in the alternate energy push? Why not create a wind turbine field near the bay?
• Are there any concerns there would be a voter mistake at the voting booth considering your first names all start with an M and a wrong move could way the vote the other way?
• How tough has it been campaigning financially? Has there been much campaigning? Some of Toledo’s candidates are holding news conferences almost every day.
The station also submitted word associations for the candidates to address, such as Lucas County government, and Oregon police and fire.
Seferian said he never received questions from the station prior to the taping, and doesn’t know why. He said he doesn’t mind having to wing it. He knows the issues well enough, he said.
Brown, who is seeking a third term, said she’s appeared on the roundtable program before with mayors of other communities.
“I’m looking forward to it,” she said Wednesday evening.
After the program was taped, which lasted about 25 minutes, Dabish said last Thursday he was pleased with his performance.
“I did fairly well for my first time ever facing my political opponents,” he said.