Like many busy parents, Joshua and Maria Maluchnik didn’t really think too much about the baby care products they had been using on their kids.
Then one day, their baby developed a severe diaper rash.
The concerned parents tried medicated creams to help ease their daughter’s discomfort and heal her skin, but they were just not working.
“That’s when we decided to look at the components that go into these creams, and during our research, we realized that a lot of the stuff that we were using had really bad chemicals that were not good for our kids,” said Joshua.
Though Joshua was a science teacher for some years and had some idea about chemicals, he and Maria, a teacher at Genoa Middle School, didn’t really know a lot about natural and organic products. What they did know was they wanted to use products that were effective and safe for their kids.
They could only believe other parents felt the same.
“We knew there were health benefits to having natural and organic foods but we were kind of unfamiliar with the skin-care territory,” Joshua said. “We didn’t really realize the positive impact it could have until we started doing the research.”
They focused their efforts on coming up with a formula for a diaper cream. “We knew the main ingredients we wanted to have,” Joshua said. “Then we sought out a professional laboratory to formulate the cream for us.” “It took us about 12 months,” he said. “We went through a lot of different samples. We wanted to make sure we had everything right.”
Then, in a case of the proverbial “one thing led to another,” the couple started looking at the labels on the baby wash, lotion and other skin-care products in their nursery.
Again concerned about the chemicals listed on the labels, the idea for a whole line of “BabyWise Organics” products was born. With more research and trial and error, the couple settled on formulas for a baby lotion, baby wash, baby oil and a stretch mark cream, all made with biodegradable natural and organic ingredients.
Good for the earth too
As plans were evolving to manufacture the products, the couple happened to tune into a business show that was featuring a “green episode” about small companies that were being environmentally friendly.
Inspired by the idea, they decided to look into how to make their product packaging “zero waste” so it would essentially have no real effect on the environment.
“Guaranteeing that the packages could be recycled was something that came to mind – we just had to figure out how to do it,” Joshua said.
First, they committed to using minimal and biodegradable packaging. Containers would be 100 percent recyclable. But what about those who don’t have access to a recycling program?
Those consumers can use the patent pending greenmail recycling™ program.
“It’s easy,” Joshua said. “The label is already on the container.
“Basically the label is divided into three spots - the face, a spot for the product label and ingredients and then the postal service label,” he said. “When your container is empty, simply place the bottle in your mailbox to be sent back to us for recycling.”
With the line of products ready to go and a concept for responsible packaging, the BabyWise Organics’ core value statement became, “Caring for Baby and Earth.” They officially launched the business Aug. 4.
Currently, the line includes:
• Soothing diaper cream blended with doses of tamanu oil, aloe and calendula, along with zinc oxide and organic beeswax to help calm sensitive, inflamed skin and forming a moisture barrier against future wetness and irritation.
• Nurturing baby lotion calms with the soft and pure scents of lavender and chamomile. The natural blend of organic ingredients is formulated to leave delicate skin soft and smooth.
• Gentle baby wash with lavender and chamomile to calm and soothe baby. The formula is extra mild to cleanse without over-drying delicate skin.
• Calming baby oil with a natural and organic oil blend featuring the soft and pure scents of lavender and chamomile. Perfect for massage, moisturizing and easing cradle cap.
• Nourishing stretch mark cream with the healing properties of pomegranate, avocado and shea butter. The natural and organic blend of ingredients is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to aid in eliminating the appearance of stretch marks and scars.
The diaper cream, baby lotion, baby wash and baby oil are $13.99 for 5.1 fluid ounces. The stretch mark cream is $14.99 for the same size. Products may also be ordered in a gift set.
Ten percent of profits from the company will be donated to children's charities dedicated to protecting children’s health and well-being, Joshua said.
Order BabyWise Organics products at www.babywiseorganics.com or by calling 1-877-585-baby (2229). At the Web site, visitors may also sign up to receive the BabyWise newsletter with product promotions and special offers, seasonal tips, and news.