The Press Newspaper
Apps have made it nearly impossible for the savviest of shoppers to miss a deal anytime, anywhere.
The May 2013 issue of ShopSmart magazine, from Consumer Reports, highlights five price-comparison apps that make saving easier and more accessible than ever, and they’re free.
“There’s almost no excuse for not getting the best deal on an item anymore,” said Lisa Lee Freeman, editor-in-chief of ShopSmart. “More and more apps feature bar code scanners which are giving users instant access to other retailers’ prices that may be better than the one they are about to pay.”
ShopSmart’s recommendations of price-comparison apps is part of its “Bargain Issue,” which features tips on where to save (in-store versus online), the best sites and apps for coupons, a list of amazing cheap products and more.
Here are five, free apps that are best for comparing prices on the go according to ShopSmart:
• Price Check by Amazon lets users scan a product’s bar code, snap a photo or say its name to see whether Amazon sells it for a lower price. It also supports – and encourages – users to share in-store prices, so other customers can benefit from Amazon’s willingness to undercut other retailers. Works on Android and Apple.
• RedLaser was one of the first price comparison apps and is still the gold standard. Users can now find deals and coupons for retailers, store digital versions of loyalty cards, and make purchases directly in the app if they see a cheaper price elsewhere. Works on Android, Apple, Blackberry, and Windows.
• ScanLife allows users to price compare with ease and share prices with fellow scanners. The app has a live feed that shows prices others have scanned. Works on Android, Apple, Blackberry, and Windows.
• ShopSavvy is a granddaddy price-comparison app that now features user reviews, product videos, enhanced purchasing tools and the ability to add prices for local stores and new products. Works on Android, Apple, and Windows.
• Smoopa is all about sharing prices users find. Stores are graded by how often they return the lowest prices among Smoopa users. Those who stumble upon an in-store price that beats competitors and makes the purchase receive a reward redeemable via PayPal, gift cards for stores such as Amazon and Walmart or a charity donation. Works on Android and Apple.
No results found.