After months of work and hundreds of suggestions from the public,
the Toledo Science Center, formerly COSI Toledo, has a new name – the Imagination Station™.
“The name really does a great job of describing exactly what our science center is all about,” said Robert C. Savage, vice chair of the Imagination Station and chair of the “Create a Great Name Committee.” “Eleven different individuals suggested ‘Imagination Station’ during the call for entries.”
More than 2,800 entries –2,000 different names¬ – were submitted by people of all ages during the naming process. Names were entered online, mailed, e-mailed and faxed. The 20-member committee reviewed all the entries and then narrowed the field. It sent a short list of name ideas to the Science Center’s Board of Trustees, who made the final selection.
Local schools were also invited to take part in the naming contest. A total of 33 elementary school classes qualified to win one of two free pizza parties.
In addition, everyone who submitted a name – and in the case of students, their parents and teacher – will be invited to a special sneak preview event at the Imagination Station in October.
“Things are beginning to fall into place,” said Lori Hauser, executive director of Imagination Station. “We promised the voters last November a new and invigorated facility and that’s what we’re going to give them.”
COSI Toledo served nearly three million visitors from its opening in March 1997 through December 2007, when it was forced to close its doors due to lack of funding. In the interim, the organization continued to operate its popular outreach programs. Last November, Lucas County voters approved a levy to fund operations for the next five years. Since November, the building has undergone a thorough cleaning, new paint and carpeting have been added, existing displays have been refurbished and planning has proceeded for new exhibits.
Plans call for the entire process to come together this fall with a grand opening anticipated in October. Imagination Station promises to blend the best of the former COSI Toledo exhibits with dynamic new additions and enhancements.
Visitors are invited to come and check out:
• Circus! at the Imagination Station, an exhibit that uses science to explore the wonder of circus, and the world of circus to explore science through 23 interactive exhibits that will amaze, thrill, perplex and entertain.
• Science fun with Imagination Station scientists, Make slime, flubber or ice cream. Learn about liquid nitrogen. Scientists will be armed with all kinds of supplies to help kids of all ages dig their hands right into the learning experience.
• New experiences such as Ball Launcher, Giant Lever, Kidspace (for age kindergarten and younger), MindZone and Waterworks.
• Revitalized favorites such as BOYO, High Wire Cycle and Zing 2000 Roller Coaster Simulator Theater.
• Look for Energy Learning World in January 2010 and an Interactive Maze in February 2010.
For more updates and information, visit www.imaginationstationtoledo.org.