The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper


The Genoa Area Local Schools Scholarship Foundation, Inc. announced the recipients of their scholarships at the high school’s Honors Award Program, held in May.

This year, 55 scholarships were awarded to 41 seniors through the Foundation, which was organized by a group of interested citizens in 1991. The Foundation has held a tax-free status with the IRS since 1994.

“The growth of the Foundation continues. In 2012 our current funds total $550K ($512K in 2011) compared to $330K in 2007 (up 67 percent),” according to Diane Gerkensmeyer, Foundation president. “Our growth continues only due to a community program that is funded by caring supporters of Genoa Schools, local businesses, local community clubs as well as many thoughtful and helpful individuals.”

Foundation policy is to give 80 percent of the annual interest to selected students for scholarships (remaining 20 percent reinvested in fund balances). As funds mature, they could provide more than one scholarship. All fund balances continue to grow.

Each scholarship fund has a documented agreement including a section on how the scholarship winners are to be chosen.

There are currently 33 individual scholarship funds that offered 44 scholarships in 2012. This includes one new scholarship that was funded this past year – The Andrew Hirt Memorial Scholarship. In addition, 11 scholarships were given by various local businesses and organizations in conjunction with the Foundation. Three scholarships offered were at $1,000 or more; and 12 were $500 or more.

Scholarship awardees included:
Helen Asmus Memorial Scholarship: Kailey Fairchild, Trevor McLargin, Karleigh Newmister and Erin Schwamberger;
Stella Bertz Scholarship – Alysa Malcolm;
Doris Brossia Memorial Scholarship – Hannah Johnson;
Clay-Genoa High School Reunion Scholarship – Ashlee Zunk;
Curtice Kidz/Allen Township Scholarship – Melissa Clough;
Envirosafe Scholarship – Shane Leavens;
Bruce and Alyssa Gackstetter Memorial Scholarship – Dominick Thumel;
General Scholarship Fund – Anna Boss, Rachael Goetz, Patricia Snider, Brooke Sternberg;
Genoa Area Federation of Clubs-Tomme Bergman Memorial Scholarship – Jane Schlievert;
Genoa Area FFA Alumni Scholarship – Veronica Chalfin, Hannah Johnson, Chelsea McCormick;
Genoa Area Music Boosters Scholarship – Derek Miller;
Genoa Athletic Boosters Scholarship – Ricky Bierbaum, Hunter Giles;
Genoa Elementary PTO Scholarship – Forrest Braddock;
Genoa Golf Scholarship – Andrew Goeckerman;
Genoa Grange Scholarship – Chelsea McCormick;
Genoa Kiwanis Scholarship – Derek Miller. Christine Mominee, Kelley Pollauf;
Genoa National Honor Society Scholarship – Jaron Bintz;
Lester M. Henningsen Scholarship – Erica Brown;
Andrew Hirt Memorial Scholarship – Samantha Fouty;
Ryan Kimball Memorial Scholarship – Stephenie Sabin;
“Papa Joe” McLear Memorial Scholarship – Chelsea McCormick;
Edith C. Niehousmyer Scholarship – Veronica Chalfin;
Helen L. Niehousmyer Scholarship – Emily George;
Curt Reinbolt Memorial Scholarship – Alexandra Edgerton;
Carol Scharer Scholarship – Alan Reeder;
John F. Schultz Memorial Scholarship – Hannah Johnson;
The Sheahan Family Scholarship –Veronica Chalfin, Andrew Nutter;
Marcia Tank Education Scholarship – Erica Brown;
Marcia Tank Science/Engineering Scholarship – Kelsey Miller;
Debra Sue Vine Memorial Scholarship – Erica Brown;
Wagner/Sondergeld Memorial Scholarship– Christianna Bialorucki;
James Walton Scholarship – Amanda Bergman;

Additional local scholarships
Clay-Genoa Volunteer Firemen’s Association – Ricky Bierbaum;
The Dehn Sisters Memorial Scholarship Trust – Andrew Price;
First Federal Bank – Holly Hecklinger;
Genoa Area Education Association-David Miller Honorarium – Christopher Chapinski;
Genoa Area Education Association – Hannah Strayer;
GenoaBank – Andrew Goeckerman, Ben Jensen;
Genoa Coterie Club – Hannah Johnson;
Genoa Chamber of Commerce – Ben Jensen;
Ohio Association of Public School Employees – Hannah Johnson;
Pepsi Americas – Tyler Pickard.

For more information about the scholarship program or how to make a donation, call the high school office at 419-855-7741 or contact one of the trustees, which include Alan Brown, Diane Gerkensmeyer, Jean Holcombe, Mitchell Hoyles, Kellie Szymanski and Melissa Wagner.



Boy Scouts

Do you favor or oppose the Boy Scouts admitting girls?
1372236342 [{"id":"252","title":"Favor","votes":"10","pct":21.74,"type":"x","order":"1","resources":[]},{"id":"253","title":"Oppose","votes":"31","pct":67.39,"type":"x","order":"2","resources":[]},{"id":"254","title":"No opinion","votes":"5","pct":10.87,"type":"x","order":"3","resources":[]}] ["#194e84","#3b6b9c","#1f242a","#37414a","#60bb22","#f2babb"] sbar 160 160 /component/communitypolls/vote/94-boy-scouts No answer selected. Please try again. Thank you for your vote. Answers Votes ...