The Press Newspaper
Two new members will be inducted in the Clay High School Hall of Fame at the annual Groove in the Grove, which will be held Sept. 27 from 6 p.m. to midnight at Oak Shade Grove in Oregon.
Inductees include Dr. William Frederick, engineer, and Dr. Robert E. Culver, a veteran and a physician.
• Dr. William Frederick graduated from Clay High School in 1954. He went on to earn a bachelor of science degree in engineering physics from The University of Toledo in 1958, a master of physics from the University of Dayton in 1968, a masters of management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1980 and a Ph.D. in material science from the University of Cincinnati in 1973.
He authored more than 20 technical publications and presented numerous briefings at scientific and technical meetings.
His major awards include the Arthur S. Flemming Award as one of Ten Outstanding Persons in Federal Government in 1976, a Sloan Fellowship from MIT in 1979 and many more awards dealing with space materials technology and aeronautics.
In 1958, he joined the Air Force Materials Science Laboratory in Dayton, and held various positions from bench scientist to chief of the Electromagnetic Materials Division. He has spent more than five years in research and development on advanced materials for military aircraft, space systems and missile fleets for the Department of Defense at the Pentagon.
Dr. Frederick is currently corporate vice president at Photon Research Associates and manages and executes missile defense programs and photon research.
• Dr. Robert E. Culver, veteran/physician, will be honored posthumously. After graduating from Clay in 1944, he entered the military, where he served during World War II from 1944 to 1946. He was stationed in the Philippines and in occupied Japan as part of the 153rd Engineer Construction Battalion.
While in the military, he received the Asiatic and Army Occupation Medal-Japan, Asiatic Pacific Theatre Ribbon and the Good Conduct Medal. After returning home, he continued his education at The University of Toledo, where he received his bachelor of science degree in 1951. He earned a doctor of osteopathy degree in 1959 from the Chicago College of Osteopathy.
His medical awards included: Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, second edition; Outstanding Team Physician, State of Ohio; member of the City of Oregon Board of Health; and Police Surgeon, City of Oregon. His medical contributions to the athletic world included Chairman of the wrestling division; physician to the U.S. Wrestling Team; medical doctor for World Cup Wrestling; medical consultant for Ohio Professional Commission; president of Ohio AAU; and 22 years as Clay High School sports physician.
Dr. Culver was also inducted into the World Sports Hall of Fame in 1993. He earned the Oregon Board of Education Outstanding Achievement Award in 1983; and was named Honorary Fireman, City of Oregon, Station Number 1. He also received commendations from the Ohio House of Representatives in 1983 and 1993.
Dr. Culver was Lucas County Chief Deputy Coroner from 1978 to 1980 and served as the director of Osteopathic Service at Riverside Hospital from 1996 until his death in 1998.