The spring session of Terra Community College’s ElderCollege offers learning expeditions as well as classes in everything from computers to musicals.
ElderCollege is a membership organization at Terra for adults age 50 and beyond who share a common desire to learn. The course schedule varies from term to term but usually includes such topics as computers, history, art and music. There are also several educational outing opportunities.
Here is the spring schedule:
• Eagle Watch – 9 a.m. to noon, April 6. Register with the Sandusky County Park District at 419-334-4495. Class size is limited to 12. Cost: Donation to ElderCollege general fund is encouraged.
• Bad Astronomy: Myths and Misconceptions – 10 a.m. April 28. You will travel to the BGSU Planetarium on your own to see the show and ask questions of the staff. Cost: $20 members/$25 non-members.
• Architectural Treasures of Toledo – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 15. This travel-on-your-own trip will include visits to the First Congregational Church, Holy Rosary Cathedral, the main Toledo Public Library and a three-course lunch at the Café in the Park. Cost: $25 members, $30 non-members.
• City of Bowling Green’s Wind Farm – 1 p.m. You will travel to the wind farm on your own. It is located on West US 6 next to the Wood County Landfill.
Cost: $5 members, $10 non-members.
• Wright Patterson AFB Museum – May 13. This is your opportunity to view more than 360 aircraft on static display with all but 20 indoors. Cost, which includes motor coach and IMAC admission: $90 members, $110 non-members.
• Tour of Plum Brook – 1 p.m. May 22. The group will visit our closest NASA Center, the Plum Brook Station in Sandusky. Cost: $20 members, $25 non-members.
• Bird Watching-Up Close and Personal – Bring your folding chair, camera and field guide to Navarre Marsh for an up-close view of birds that fly through Northwest Ohio on their way north each spring. Cost: $10 members, $15 non-members.
• American Red Cross Family Caregiver Course – 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays from April 6-27. The purpose of the Family Caregiving Program is to help participants gain an understanding of what is involved in caring for a loved one and know how to provide that care through one-hour modules covering such topics as personal care, nutrition, home safety and others. Cost per session: $15 members,
• Lincoln History – 10 to 11:30 a.m. Mondays from April 13-May 18. Instructor Ken Davidson of Heidelberg University. Cost: $25 members, $30 non-members.
• Russia, Part 2 – 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays from April 14-May 5. Instructor Carol Repass. Cost: $25 members, $30 non-members.
• The Mole Hill Guide to Vegetable and Flower Gardening – 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays from April 14-May 26. Facilitator Roger Hart of Mole Hill Farms. Cost: $25 members, $30 non-members.
• Men of Musicals – 10 a.m. to noon Fridays April 17-May 1. Instructor Jean Vestal. Cost: $25 members, $30 non-members.
• Short Story Writing – 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Fridays from April 17-May 22. Instructor Acy Jackson of Terra Community College. Cost: $20 members, $25 non-members.
• Painting with Watercolor – 9 a.m. to noon Fridays from April 17-May 22. Instructor Jim Andrews. Cost: $50 members, $60 non-members.
• Improving Your Drawing – 1 to 3 p.m. Fridays from April 17-May 22. Instructor Larry Ameigh. Cost: $40 members, $50 non-members.
• Computers 101 – 1 to 3 p.m. Fridays from April 17-May 22. Instructor Melanie Ray of Terra Community College. Cost: $75 members, $85 non-members.
• History of the Space Race – 9:45 to 11:15 a.m. May 20. Facilitator Don Stull of Terra Community College. Cost: $30 members, $35 non-members.
• Schemes, Scams and Rip-Offs – 10 a.m. to noon April 16. Facilitator Robert Epstein of Toledo Area Better Business Bureau. Cost, including lunch: $15 members, $20 non-members.
• The American Religious Experience-Grace Community Church – 11 a.m. to
1 p.m. April 23. Cost, including lunch: $15 members, $20 non-members.
• The American Religious Experience-Judaism – 1 to 3 p.m. May 1. Facilitator Aaron Meyer. Cost, including lunch: $15 members, $20 non-members.
For more information or full details, visit www.terra.edu/learning