Written by Tammy Walro
October 21, 2010
The Elmore Chamber of Commerce will present the 6th annual Tombstone Derby Saturday, Oct. 30 at Depot Park.
The schedule of events includes:
• 9-11 a.m.: Pumpkin-carving and pie-baking contest registration. Bring pumpkin entries to the Historical Cabin and pies to the Fire Station. Call Renee Thomas at 419-574-1559 for more information.
• Noon-1 p.m.: Registration for Adult Motorized Casket Races and kids’ battery-operated vehicles. Prizes will be awarded. Kids’ cars must have “stock” battery power.
• Noon: Pumpkin carving and pie judging contest. Pie pieces will be sold by the slice or a la mode after the judging. Pumpkins will be displayed at the Historical Cabin.
• 1-7 p.m.: Haunted cabin – kid friendly.
• 1-7 p.m.: Ghoulish food available, presented by the Historical Society.
• 1-7 p.m.: Magical Market and Craft Vendors, along with fortune-telling and ghost stories.
• 1-5 p.m.: Kids’ Magic School Adventure.
• 2-5 p.m.: Voting for “Best of Show” motorized caskets and kids’ battery-operated vehicles.
• 2-3 p.m.: Body Toss Contest ($1 per team) and Cadaver Toss Contest ($1 per entrant).
• 3-4 p.m.: Pet Halloween Costume Contest, featuring prizes for Best of Show and Best Kid/Pet. Winners announced at 4 p.m.
• 4-5 p.m.: Motorized Casket Drag Races (single elimination heats and final).
• 5-6 p.m.: Kids’ Trails for Treats at downtown businesses (12 and under).
• 6-7 p.m.: “Parade of Fools” and Tombstone Derby Casket Races. Parade through downtown includes motorized caskets, kids’ battery-operated vehicles, pets and kids in costume and decorated bicycles.
• 7 p.m.: Derby and People’s Choice awards announced. There will also be a raffle drawing, with proceeds benefiting the fireworks fund.
For more information, call Lowell Krumnow at 419-260-1282. For vendor information, call 419-350-8560.