MILWAUKEE, Wisc. It seems like the last school year just ended, but soon students will be searching for the styles that they won’t be able to live without this fall.
Elder-Beerman offers these style notes on the top trends for back-to-school 2008.
Girl’s back-to-school key trends:
1. Vests – Prep for the fall season with slimming menswear vests or sophisticated sweater vests. Layer them over tees or tanks and pair them with your favorite jeans to showcase your individual style.2. Skinny Jeans –These body-hugging jeans are great with screen tees, long cardigans, dresses and vests. Completely versatile and modern, a pair of black or grey skinny jeans will become the MVP of your wardrobe this fall.
3. Destructed Denim – Go vintage with worn-to-perfection jeans at Elder-Beerman. Great vendors include Piama and Blue Spice, or try a sophisticated, urban look with Harmony & Havoc.
4. Scarf Tees – Layer up with tees and scarves sold as a set. Worn with skinny jeans and flats, you will find yourself at the top of the style charts. Make these scarves your signature accessory for back-to-school.
5. Sweater Dresses – Look “school girl chic” in effortless sweater dresses. Pair them with leggings or tights when the weather cools down. Style mavens will stock up on this back-to-school essential.
6. High Waists & Ruffled Tops – Tiers of feminine ruffles add a sweet touch to your wardrobe. Pair a frilly top with a high waisted skirt or a great pair of wide leg jeans for a completely sophisticated, polished look.
7. Active – Comfort meets style when you pair West Coast-style hoodies with sporty yoga pants. Active-wear is a great laid-back look for fall.
8. Belts- Waist-clinching belts define your back-to-school style & instantly add a chic element to your look while creating an hourglass figure. Whether worn with a dress or feminine top, high waisted belts are a definite must-have item.
9. Boots- Perfect with the skinny jean, Elder-Beerman‘s shearling boots will bring your back-to school look together. These boots will have you looking forward to the approaching chilly temperatures.
Young men’s back-to-school must-haves:
1. Denim –Trends for this fall range from darker washes to lighter, destructive details and slim fits along with the always essential boot cut
2. Plaid Apparel – This fall, plaid is the staple print of the season. Woven and hooded flannels, lined fleeces, and reversible fleeces are available in a huge variety of colors and patterns. Watch for buffalo plaids and tartan plaids to be most prevalent for the back-to-school season.
3. Graphics – Graphic tees are a must-have for this fall. These retro tees featuring band logos are perfect for school or weekend-wear, and you’ll find them all at Elder-Beerman.
4. Vintage Collegiate Fleece – Vintage fleeces with distressed hems and iconic, retro logos will become a favorite this fall. These shirts are old-school cool with a brand-new look.
5. Vests –Whether worn with a crisp white shirt and tie or casually with a pair of your favorite jeans, vests will make a fashion statement just in time for the back-to-school season.
Dorm sweet dorm
Those who are college bound will need a wide variety of dorm essentials including pillows, bedding sets, towel sets, storage equipment, lighting, MP3 accessories, kitchen electronics and more. Don’t for about duffels and backpacks to carry things to and from the dorm and classes.
Re-use your blues events
Now though Aug. 16, customers will be rewarded with a 20 percent off coupon toward their junior jean purchase during the denim try-on event taking place for Back-to-School in the Junior Department at Elder-Beerman.
• Between Aug 10 and Aug. 16, gently-used denim will be collected at Elder-Beerman in the Junior, Young Men’s and Kids Departments and donated to Goodwill (or a similar local charity). Bring in your old styles and receive a coupon for 20 percent off a pair of Junior, Young Men’s, or Kids jeans for each piece of denim that you donate.