The Press Newspaper
In these parts, folks love their zoo animals. Zoo animals, in turn, love treats, so it makes perfect sense that the zoo is calling Saturday, Feb. 14 Vanimal-tine’s Day.
Zoo visitors are invited to spend the day watching some of their favorite zoo animals getting some great treats, and see how the zoo shares the love on this very special day.
As an added bonus, all Lucas County residents will receive free admission to the Vanimal-tine’s Day celebrations. It’s the zoo’s way of thanking the voters of Lucas County for their continued support for their Toledo Zoo.
From 10:15 a.m. to 3 p.m., zoo animals will explore their exhibits and find papier-mâché Valentines filled with species-appropriate treats. It’s not only nourishment – it’s also a source of enrichment for the animals, giving them a chance to explore their habitats and use their senses to manipulate objects and engage in naturalistic behaviors. A complete schedule of events is as follows:
• 10:15 a.m. - Tiger Feeding & Enrichment, Tiger Terrace.
• 10:15 a.m. - Gorilla Feeding & Enrichment, Kingdom of the Apes.
• 10:30 a.m. - Primates Feeding & Enrichment, Primate Forest,
• 11 a.m. - Shark Feed, Aquarium.
• 11:15 a.m. - Elephant Enrichment, Savanna.
• 1 p.m. - Chimp & Orangutan Enrichment, Kingdom of the Apes.
• 1:30 p.m. - Vulture Enrichment, Near Primate Forest,
• 3 p.m. – Wolves, Arctic Encounter.
• Throughout the day - Small Animal Encounters, Museum of Science; Various Bird Demonstrations, Aviary.
The Toledo Zoo is open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is located on the Anthony Wayne Trail (US 25), four miles south of downtown Toledo.
For more information, visit www.toledozoo.org or call 419-385-4040. Lucas County residents are admitted free of charge each Monday from 10 a.m. to noon. ID showing proof of residency is required.