The Press Newspaper

Toledo, Ohio & Lake Erie

The Press Newspaper

The Press Newspaper

Everyone has a story to tell, but for Brian Stork, this one sounds all too familiar.

Stork, an uncle of injured Clay hockey player Kyle Cannon, is just the person to counsel Cannon on recovering from a debilitating, life-altering injury.

Cannon, 15, a freshman forward at Clay, was injured seriously on Nov. 30 when he was checked from behind and shoved into the boards. He suffered an injury to his C-5 vertebrae with 28 seconds left in the Eagles' game against Lexington (Ky.) Catholic at a tournament near Dayton.

Read more...

The Genoa school board is looking for persons interested in filling the board seat left vacant by the resignation of Ernest Cottrell.

Mr. Cottrell, who served on the school board for seven years, has accepted an appointment to the Allen Township Board of Trustees where he’ll fill a seat that had been held by Mark Stahl. Mr. Stahl was elected in November to the Ottawa County Board of Commissioners.

Read more...

The Regional Growth Partnership estimates that 6,000 people in the region are employed in the solar energy industry — more than the two largest manufacturers combined.

Five manufacturing plants and six system integration companies in the area are enough to form an industry cluster, says Council member Lindsay Webb.

Read more...

Perhaps you are as excited as I am that, at long last, our Congress critters have delivered for us!

Health care for all, you ask? No, not that. A real economic recovery program? Uh. No. An end to the Iraq war? No, again. Instead, what the lawmakers have produced for us is (hold on to your hat, now) a new Capitol Visitor Center!

Read more...

A fire that burned a barn to the ground on Corduroy Road last Friday was likely caused by a wood burner, according to Oregon Fire Chief Bill Wilkins.

 

“The fire will be listed as accidental under the fire reports,” said Wilkins at a council meeting Monday. “It also lists as undetermined. Probable cause will be a wood burning stove within the barn.”

 

The fire, fueled by high winds, started at 12.27 a.m. in the barn at 7150 Corduroy Road. Hundreds of livestock perished in the fire, including goats, ducks, chickens, guineas, rabbits and pigeons.

 

A house just 30 feet from the barn was slightly damaged. Prakash Thombre, who owns the house and barn, and his family, were unharmed.

Read more...

Toledo water

Do you feel comfortable drinking water coming from the city of Toledo
1456964204 [{"id":"16","title":"Yes","votes":"11","pct":40.74,"type":"x","order":"1","resources":[]},{"id":"17","title":"No","votes":"16","pct":59.26,"type":"x","order":"2","resources":[]}] ["#194e84","#3b6b9c","#1f242a","#37414a","#60bb22","#f2babb"] sbar 160 160 /communitypolls/vote/1-root.html?Itemid=189&id=7 No answer selected. Please try again. Thank you for your vote. Answers Votes ...